The Negative Health Effects Of Air Pollution
According to the World Health Organization:
- 34% of all stroke deaths are caused by air pollution
- Air pollution causes 2 million deaths due to heart disease every year
- 1.7 million deaths due to lung disease and cancer every year
But what you may not know is that air pollution also causes long-term damage to the brain, nerves, liver and kidneys.
Air pollution in most places is unavoidable, but what can you do about it?
Here’s 5 life hacks to help protect you & your family
- Keep your distance from the road when walking. Even walking just 2 meters away is proven to reduce exposure to traffic pollution.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. Antioxidants in fruit and vegetables fight against the harmful effects of air pollution.
- Wait away from traffic lights when crossing the road. Pollution at intersections can be 29 times higher than on the open road.
- Get an air filter at home. A Xiaomi air filter only costs less than CNY 600 and in some consumer tests are shown to be just as effective as more expensive brands.
- Rubber seals from Taobao added to your windows make a big difference to indoor air pollution levels.